Sisters of the Holy Family Congregation arrived in Natal in 1864 and, shortly thereafter, opened a school in Broad Street, Durban. The original building on the Maris Stella site in Essenwood Road was constructed in 1897, and the Maris Stella Convent School was officially opened in 1899. Steady growth in enrolment during the earlier part of this century demanded the creation of additional facilities. Our Chapel was built in 1923 and the Centenary Hall was opened in 1964, marking the 100th anniversary of the arrival of the Holy Family Sisters in South Africa.
During the 1960s and 1970s, the number of Holy Family Sisters diminished so that in 1982 the Sisters decided that the school would henceforth be controlled and operated by a Board of Governors representing the parents of the girls at the school, and including the Principal and a member of the Management Team.
The ethos and the traditions of the Sisters still permeate the school even though there are no Sisters living in the building. The Sisters still show a lively interest in school matters and representatives attend most school functions.